Saturday 12 October 2013

"Because Your Good Girl's, Gonna Go Bad..."

Bit of a Tammy Wynette reference there in the title bar today, for all you oldies and fans of country music and dodgy karaoke performances. Don't worry though, I haven't gone completely 'bad' or off the wagon, I'm just having one of my pre-planned, sanctioned binge-days off. It's Saturday night, the X-Factor is on and the smell of Autumn-into-Winter is in the air. It's my favourite time of year, I'm hanging out with my lovely fiance and getting ready to tuck into pizza. And why the fuck not? I've done great this week. I found out I'd lost that six pounds about four days ago and I've since dropped another two (which will invariably go back on temporarily after tonight's munch-fest) but the minute I go back to serious restriction again, they'll fly off and I'll be back to losing once more.

I know it's really sad, but I love watching the X-Factor every year. I love it when you find one particular person who has the ability to make you sit up and take notice when they sing; the one who makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up on end and who can even cause the odd teary eye to well up with overwhelming emotion at how good they are. Last year it was James Arthur who I was blown away with every single week (that bluesy, authentic version of 'I'm Sexy And I Know It' was pure genius and his version of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's 'The Power of Love' nearly made me cry!). This year I'm not sure who is going to win, but I must confess to thinking that the young Scottish guy Nicholas is utterly adorable! I'm not a remotely maternal or motherly person, I actually hate kids - hell, I even got sterilised at the age of 29 to prevent myself from getting knocked up - but I just think he's so incredibly cute and I want to do that annoying cheek-grabbing thing to him, that old ladies do to little boys when they think they're cute. Maybe I'm biased, coming from a Scottish family, but I really want him to do well. 

I also loved how that woman prison guard sang Jennifer Rush's 'The Power of Love' better than the original, as well as that mad Devonshire Diva doing 'Alone' by Heart. Those two songs are proper tests of whether or not someone can sing. Great to see that so far, the two strongest performances are from Mrs O's 'Overs' category, because they can tend to me the forgotten group who always end up sounding cheesy. Anyway, we're only halfway through the show so far and I don't want this pizza to go cold, so I'll sign off on this post for now and come back later when I've watched the whole programme and devoured all of the cheesy, greasy goodness.

Back soon

x

3 comments:

  1. Yay another X Factor fan!!
    Because I have no life I spend Saturday and Sunday night watching all these shows
    Downtown, Homeland,Strictly, Love/Hate........

    I was raging when Nicole didn't put Melanie through
    I thought to myself 'This is her fourth time, that poor girl is going to need serious therapy'
    But then I saw her being interviewed and she was fine

    I actually have a moral issue with the X Factor
    I think it really exploits young people but I still watch it lol!

    I don't have a favourite yet but it's early days

    Who do you think is gonna go tonight? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a favourite really yet. I love Sam Bailey the prison officer woman's voice, but I can't see her being a marketable pop-star, so good voice or not, she ain't gonna win. I loved Shelley's version of 'Alone' because it's just such a hard song to sing and I was impressed, not only with her range, but with how far she's come in losing a lot of her cheesy, old school, cabaret-esque affectations. She's really toned them down and is focused much more on the power in her voice. I know a lot of people thought that she should have made it into a newer version of the song; made it her own version or 'owned it' as they are so fond of saying. But that is just such a classic song, you really can't do much with it, without losing the original vibes and effect. I'm annoyed that she was the bottom of the votes but I can understand it, because she doesn't fit the 'whole package' remit of a pop star. They need to have a great voice yes, but also the personality and the image in order to become a money-making, record-selling chart success. The 'Overs' category is always going to suffer that. Even if they're amazing and they win, they're not what the 'yoof' of today are wanting to pay to download and listen to.

    I'm hoping that tonight it's that boy Sam Callaghan who goes. The one who did Bryan Adams' 'Summer of '69'. I hate it when that song is done. It's a lazy song choice and never done well. The only person who should ever sing that song is Bryan Adams. That lad's voice was sketchy to say the least, but I think he's been put through because the judges saw him as a potential UK version of Justin Bieber. Urgh... I hope he goes because he's just crap and annoying. It's strange that the boys category is so weak this year.

    I was gutted when Melanie didn't get through too. When they did that 'last two' at Nicole's judge's house, with her and that black girl (god that sounds racist but I just haven't memorised everyone's names yet), I thought Mel would definitely go through. Even my boyfriend who hates the show (but ends up being forced to listen to me watching it!) said that she was his favourite and thought she was a potential winner. I just hope someone admits to being underage/criminal/unable to continue being involved, so the judges have to give the place to someone else and they ask Mel, because she has a beautifully stunning voice and is a potential winner.

    God I feel so sad talking about the X-factor, but it's such a tradition and marks the change of year. Autumn to Winter, down to Christmas.... Yeah I'm probably sad, but fuck it. I watch plenty of documentaries and other science based stuff to counteract the cheese! (Although I do have a bit of a sad thing for watching 'the Real Housewives of New York/Vancouver/Atlanta/Beverley Hills....please don't tell anyone or my credibility will be shot to shit! lol

    by the way, I'm in the middle of writing you an epic length email, so be prepared for a bit of a novel!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. He he, I agree Sam wasn't great
    There really is no one who stands out to me just yet but we have a whole 2 months to figure than one out
    I was thinking about my weekend viewing after I wrote that comment
    I was thinking 'Should I be out on the tiles every weekend?'
    And I came to the conclusion that no I shouldn't
    I don't drink or use anymore so being in a pub or night club is really quite boring
    I prefer dancing in my room where no one can see what a freak I am
    I started going to nightclubs and pubs at a very early age so I think I am just over all that

    But you are right, I love this time of year
    The seasons change
    You can smell Christmas in the air
    I love wrapping up in scarves and gloves and walking my dogs in the crisp air
    It's a beautiful time really

    Yes, I am a bit of a documentary junkie, especially anything around EDs
    But I also love a good bit of trash like Made in Chelsea
    And do you watch Come Dine With Me?
    I am so addicted to that show

    Yay, I'll look forward to hearing from you x

    ReplyDelete

Now over to y'all to see what you have to say!